Friday, January 10, 2014

Adventures in Homeschooling?

Depending on my mood the word 'homeschooling' is either this huge floaty relief of a word, or a giant lead elephant climbing up my back.
I'm still not sure which it really is.

I still think I feel the need to over-plan things. I feel the need to 'be a teacher' and make everything about learning. I keep trying to cram his head full of educational things that he probably doesn't need to know until grade 1 or 2.
I have to keep reminding myself that a) he's only in kindergarten, and b) that's not necessarily the point of homeschooling.

However I do know I need to have some level of planning so make myself feel like we're accomplishing something.
I've made a calendar full of theme weeks that will at least give ME a starting place. Each day I write on the calendar what we did so that when I have moments of hopelessness I can at least look back at the proof that something was accomplished.

This week's theme was 'snow'. Conveniently it snowed over 2 feet, so we had a lot to look at.

We made winter scenes on our windows


















This one is a blue firework exploding into the shape of a guy flying an airplane.




















We made snowman prints with cookie cutters and talked about 'biggest to smallest'.
















We made snowflake cookies.
















We talked about what snow is and how snowflakes are made.

We read snowy day type books.
















We tried to freeze bubbles outside, but the best we got was a cold wobbly bubble that imploded in the wind.
















We went snowshoeing.




















We recorded the french words for 'snow', 'ice', and 'cold', because Toby seems obsessed at the moment with knowing the french words for everything.

We did some train track engineering
















We made a snow castle out of toilet paper tubes and egg carton, but according to Toby it's now a stage for his cars to perform plays on (or people too if they want, he's just corrected me)

































So far I've learned that Toby loves science, likes number and math stuff, and really doesn't like lower case letters. Or being asked to try new letters at all. Unless he's making a card for someone.

It's only week one and part of me feels like I've overdone it, and part of me feels un-accomplished.
I supposed we both have a lot to learn.

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you've got a pretty good plan, Erin! And like you said, he's only in kindergarten, so the planning is more for you than anything else.

    I don't remember if I mentioned it to you before, but if you decide to continue with home schooling when he reaches grade 1, there are essentially two trains that home schoolers ride: there's curriculum-based home schooling (follows a curriculum or a variety of curricula set out by educational institutes/organizations, such as the Complete Canadian Curriculum, which has great workbooks), and then there's "unschooling" which is more along the lines of what you're doing now (more freeform and a lot of learning through going out and doing things). Just a little bit of information for you to consider while you're planning away. Different methods work for different learning styles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this. And I love how you're learning right along with Toby. I think that is one of the best parts of homeschooling. Along with the fact that clearly your version of school is way cooler than going to a structured class where everyone has to be in the same box and learn the same way. Learning through experience was always my favourite part of homeschooling. Toby is a lucky kid to have you so involved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a very fun week. What do you do for socialization?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today we had two friends over who are also home schooled, and yesterday we babysat for a friend and he came to work with me for half a day.
    He gets overstimulated with too much interaction with people, but he loves playing with other kids whenever we get the chance!

    ReplyDelete